Sandy Hook Promise, Say Something button
EUHSD Public Surplus Auctions
Peachjar Flyers Button
Speak Up

Educational Services Work Permit Request

Students if you attend Escondido, Orange Glen, or San Pasqual High School please email your College and Career Technician Directly.

School site contact information for work permit requests.
Mandy BrownEscondido(760)
Karen MendiazOrange Glen(760)
Karen VillavicencioSan Pasqual(760)
Allison Reyes Del Lago Academy(760)
Maricela RamirezValley(760)

Welcome to the work permit request center.

Work permits are handled directly at your school site during the school year. The District Service Center will process work permit requests between June 30 and July 20, 2021.

Escondidio Union High School District students please follow these instructions to obtain a work permit between June 30 and July 20, 2021

  1. Print Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age CDE Form B1-1(DOC). Complete the Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age CDE Form B1-1(DOC) and have your parent/guardian & employer sign and date their section in pen. It is mandatory to provide the social security number.
    • Employer completes and signs Section 1 ("Statement of Employer").
    • Student completes Section 2 ("Statement of Parent or Guardian Regarding Minor") and obtain a signature from your parent/guardian.
  2. Upload the Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit-Certificate of Age and a picture of identification card to the secured upload center below.
  3. Check your email address in 2 to 3 school days. If approved for a work permit you will be notified through your EUHSD email account. Once notified, your work permit will be available for your signature and pick up at the District Service Center 302 North Midway Drive, Escondidio CA 92027.

Summer Work Permit Upload Center - Active June 30, 2021

Work permits expire one week after school starts and minors who are still working must renew their work permit between June 31 and July 19, 2021.

All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement.

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and meet adequate academic progress in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.

Escondido Union High School District issues work permits for minors residing within the district boundaries and enrolled in district schools: Del Lago Academy, Escondido, Orange Glen, San Pasqual, and Valley.

Work permits will only be issued for employment in San Diego County.


  • Minors who have high school diplomas or passed the state proficiency examination
  • Employment type:
    • Private homes doing occasional odd jobs
    • Sale or delivery of newspaper, if self-employed
    • Self-employment
    • Agricultural or domestic work on property owned, operated, or controlled by minor's parents

Work Permits Must

  • Be renewed at the start of each new school year or when the student obtains a new job.
  • Be kept on file at the minor's work site.

Workers' Compensation Insurance

All minors must be covered by Workers' Compensation Insurance, including minors employed by parents and minors employed by businesses operating from a private residence.

Summer Permits

Working minors who have not graduated from high school need work permits for their new jobs, even through the summer months.

Hours Minors Are Allowed to Work

Ages 16-17 - School in Session
  • 4 hours maximum per day Monday-Thursday.
  • 8 hours maximum per day Friday-Sunday.
  • 32 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. if no school next day

School in Session, Student Enrolled in Work Experience Education

  • 8 hours maximum per day
  • 48 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. any day of the week


  • 8 hours maximum per day
  • 48 total hours per week
  • 5 a.m. to 12:30 a.m. any day of the week

Ages 14-15 -- School in Session

  • 3 hours maximum per day Mon.-Fri.
  • 8 hours maximum per day Sat.-Sun.
  • 18 total hours per week
  • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.


  • 8 hours maximum per day
  • 40 total hours per week
  • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. any day of the week (summer hours 6/1 through Labor Day 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.)


  • In most cases, a minor must be paid the minimum wage.
  • If an employee works a split shift, he/she must be paid one extra hour at the minimum wage.
  • If an employee reports to work but is not given work and is sent home, the employee is owed a minimum of 2 hours of pay.
  • If an employee is asked not to clock in, the employee is free to leave and cannot be required to wait without being paid as he/she is under the direction and control of the employer.

Prohibited Employment

Hazardous Occupations for All Minors — Federal Law

The federal government, under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), has listed Hazardous Occupations in which minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited from working.

  • Motor vehicle driving on public roads (This does not prohibit a minor from driving on private property e.g. auto dealer lot)
  • Power-driven woodworking machines
  • Exposure to radioactive substances
  • Power-driven hoisting apparatus (Includes automobile hoist, lift truck, fork lift, elevator, crane, derrick, bobcat, etc.)
  • Power-driven metal-forming, punching, & shearing machines (Includes rolling machines, pressing or punching machines, bending machines, etc.)
  • Power-driven bakery machines (Includes dough mixer, batter mixer, bread divider, molding machine, bread slicing and wrapping, cookie or cracker machine.)
  • Power-driven paper-products machines (Includes paper bailers, box crushers, etc.)
  • Power-driven circular saws, band saws, & guillotine shears
  • Roofing operations
  • Excavation operations
  • For a complete list, contact the Federal Wage & Hour Office at (619) 557-5110

Minors Under 18 Years of Age

  • Selling or serving alcoholic beverages
  • Building or construction work of any kind
  • Delivering goods from motor vehicles
  • In the vicinity of moving machinery
  • Hazardous occupations
  • Operating an auto or truck
  • In the vicinity of explosives

Hazardous Occupations for Minors Under 16 Years of Age — California Law

  • In or about a gasoline service station except as cashiers, clerical workers, or merchandise labelers.
  • Public messenger service.
  • In or about dangerous equipment & power driven machinery, aircraft, or vessels.
  • Selling to passing motorists: newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities.
  • Selling door-to-door unless the following conditions are met:

Minors work in pairs as team;

  1. One adult supervisor for ten or fewer minors;
  2. Within sight or sound of supervisor once every 15 minutes;
  3. Returned to home or rendezvous point daily;
  4. Employer has complied with IWC registration requirements.